Research Manager - French SpeakingDepartment:
Research and DevelopmentEmployment Type:
Contract / TempLocation:
Surgo Health aims to revolutionize the effectiveness of healthcare by understanding people's behavior at the individual level. We have extensive experience collecting behavioral data to deeply understand health behaviors and shape precise interventions. We are a small, agile team made up of technologists, data scientists, behavioral scientists, and health experts with offices in Delhi, London, and DC but our employees work from all around the world.
We are looking for an experienced, effective and highly motivated research manager to oversee implementation of a multi-country research project around women's family planning intent, preferences, and needs across Nigeria, Senegal, and Cote d'Ivoire (and potentially Ethiopia). You are an experienced, French-speaking researcher who can execute complex fieldwork and effectively manage multiple data collection vendors across multiple countries and design gender-sensitive research. You will lead efforts to deliver quick, exceptionally reliable, ethically and sensitively collected, and high quality data to answer key open questions around women's contraceptive needs.
Past experience in quantitative research design and execution a must; experience with family planning, reproductive or maternal health a plus.Key ResponsibilitiesResearch Management and Program Coordination
- Lead relationship management and coordination with in-country programmatic partners
- Liaise with technical team of behavioral and research scientists to develop research protocol and implementation fidelity plan
- Support insight generation and implications for interventions alongside core technical team
- Support dissemination of research findings to partners and government stakeholders
- Build deep expertise in family planning policy and implementation context in-country
Data Management and Analysis
- Draft field operation plans, training modules, discussion guides, research protocols
- Identify and support in contracting third party data collection agencies and manage the relationship on a day to day basis
- Ensure high quality training of large survey teams on quantitative (and qualitative) methods to ensure high quality data collection
- Manage coordination and relationship with research implementation teams
- Support the development of documentation for obtaining government approval for research
- Lead fieldwork planning, testing and execution
- Oversee fieldwork implementation to ensure data quality; develop data quality protocols
- Liaise with tool programmer and manage functioning of data collection
- Support development/modification of data collection instruments as directed by the team
Skills, Knowledge and Expertise
- Devise data quality audit methods and reports and take corrective actions to ensure excellent data quality
- Clean and manage large data sets: create, record and execute data cleaning commands; version control data sets, link data sets etc.
- Analyze large datasets: compute indicators from raw data, descriptive stats and univariate and bivariate analyses; collapse data, merge different data sets etc.
- Visualization of analytics results for general audience
- 5+ years of work experience in executing large scale research (qualitative & quantitative); experience in development sector research preferred
- Fluency in French and English, other local languages desired
- Expertise in coding in STATA/R and advanced Excel; familiarity with Github for collaborative version control
- Excellent data analytic skills, ability to manage and mine large amounts of data, etc.
- Excellent communication (written, verbal and visual presentation) skills
- Experience in the planning and execution of field research, developing training materials and data quality monitoring processes
- Ability to translate insights from study into recommendations for on the ground programming
- Experience in management of mobile based application/software for data collection
- Ability to think strategically, handle ambiguity, and problem solve in a fast-paced, limited-structure, multicultural environment
- High level of proficiency in Microsoft Office, particularly Excel, PowerPoint and Word
- High level of proficiency with research methods